:: Re: [DNG] zeitgeist and Devuan Linu…
Author: Kenn Thyrsted
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] zeitgeist and Devuan Linux
Absolutely agree with the idea, that this type of surveillance has no
place in any user-respecting distro.
However..Freedom to choose should - ideally - be an absolute.

Sadly this was almost not the case regarding systemd.
Had it not been for some diehards, devuan probably wouldn't exist.

I'm thankful that it does !

Regarding privacy-invasive, potential password-snooping, data-collecting
software as zeitgeist or Gnome Tracker being a hard dependency of GTK4 i
dislike the idea that it's flying under the radar.

What can be done - i don't know, but an installation warning that
"$package" is openly collecting your data and metadata i think should be
minimum.

Wether it is possible to categorise and placing it as "Non-Privacy"
with an explicit choice - just as enabling "Non-Free-Repository" i don't
know..

Kenn