:: Re: [DNG] Chimaera fluxbox fails to…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Chimaera fluxbox fails to start
Haines Brown , To: ;, Cc: ;, Bcc: ; said on Tue, 24 Jan 2023 12:00:21
-0500

>Did an installation of Chimaera on a Thinkpad X1 Carbon gen 7. All
>went well, but startxs failed to start firefox for root or user. Also
>the installation of firefix did not create the ~/.firefox/startup file
>which I may recall should have been automatic.
>
>During installation among the software collections to install I
>de-selected Desktop Environment and xfce. I added Console productivity
>and SSH server. Once Devuan was installed I installed xorg and
>then fluxbox.
>
>When I $ startx it seems that it starts a log in manager named slip
>which has not been the case with prior installations of Chimaera. Not
>wanting it I deleted it.
>
>When I $ startx as root or user I'm taken to what looks to me like a
>desktop environment that I've not seen before with Chimaera
>installations. It is dark blue with a light blue stripe, a trash and
>home icon at upper left, a text "Devuan software freedom your way".
>What is this and how do I get rid of it? Is it preventing firefox from
>starting.

Hi Haines,

How do you know the appearance of the user interface is stopping
firefox from starting? It could be anything.

You're using startx. That's a good thing. Startx runs ~/.xinitrc, so
take a look at that shellscript and see if Firefox is even being
called. Make sure Firefox' full path is in there: It's uncertain what
$PATH is at the point where .xinitrc is run. See whether Firefox can be
run at the command prompt, both for your normal user login and root. If
it can't, find the errors. If it can, something in the boot process is
either not calling Firefox, or, as you mentioned, prevents it from
starting.

Just for fun, my .xinitrc to start Openbox follows:

#!/bin/sh
xrdb -load /home/slitt/.Xdefaults
#/bin/hopman

# RUN SERVICES DEPENDING ON X AND RUN BY SLITT
##runsv /home/slitt/sv/littcron &
cd /d/at/python/reminders
./reminders.py loop_display &

# RUN THE WM/DE