:: Re: [DNG] running with separate / a…
Author: Wm. Moss
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] running with separate / and /usr
On 1/16/23 10:27, Svante Signell via Dng wrote:
> On Sun, 2023-01-15 at 21:18 +0200, Boian Bonev via Dng wrote:
>
>>> On Sun, 2023-01-15 at 15:18 +0100, karl@??? wrote:
>> Hi Karl
>>> The only way to keep the non-merged /usr in devuan is to:
>>> a, handle it yourself privately
>> I see no practical way of that to be possible.
>>> b, recruit enought maintainers to maintain the packages within
>>> devuan
>> As a conclusion we'd better get prepared to accept the usrmerge, like
>> it or not...
> I strongly disagree with that opinion, anybody else?

Separation of context and content is the primary method to maintain
independence of function, orthogonality, and no single point of failure
or corruption.

The philosophy of a single point of contact, a single container for all
and a monolithic control structure is endemic of the MS Window OS.
Though other computer operating systems in the past have also exhibited
this philosophy, Windows is the primary survivor. This is probably a
reflection of how most people store their information and items;
everything into a single container. Consider, how many people actually
use a file cabinet to store their financial records by type and date.

As such, I expect most Linux distributions to follow this merge along
with all the other trends towards a monolithic system.

Complexity theory shows that if a system is too complex, its reliability
cannot be determined nor can it be completely tested (see Gȭdel numbers
and incompleteness theorems). The merge will, as did systemd, lower the
reliability and maintainability of Linux.

As such, I hope that Devuan can maintain separation of context and context.

--
William (Bill) Moss
bill.m.moss@???

     Justice will not be served until those who are
     unaffected are as outraged as those who are.
Benjamin Franklin

     When the people fear the government there is
     tyranny, when the government fears the people
     there is liberty.
John Basil Barnhill