:: Re: [DNG] running with separate / a…
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] running with separate / and /usr
On Monday 16 January 2023 at 16:27:05, Svante Signell via Dng wrote:

> On Sun, 2023-01-15 at 21:18 +0200, Boian Bonev via Dng wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2023-01-15 at 15:18 +0100, karl@??? wrote:
> >
> > As a conclusion we'd better get prepared to accept the usrmerge, like
> > it or not...
>
> I strongly disagree with that opinion, anybody else?

Without wishing to open a large can of annelids, can someone tell me why
anybody actually cares about this? What is the use case for having /usr on a
separate partition - why does anybody want it?

I often put /var on a separate partition from /, but that's mainly to avoid
100% disk full problems (and also to allow me to manage / and /var separately
under LVM).

I've simply never understood why /usr being on a separate partition from / is
a desirable arrangement.

Thanks,

Antony.

--
How many Prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?
No.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.