:: Re: [maemo-leste] Maemo Leste new y…
Author: Merlijn Wajer
To: Pavel Machek
CC: maemo-leste
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] Maemo Leste new years update
Hi Pavel,

On 14/01/2023 22:15, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
>>> Would you have a hints how to try the Chimaera release? I'd really
>>> like to get phone calls / SMSes to work, and will be happy to do some
>>> testing (on droid 4).
>>
>> There is this image that I built as a one-off:
>> https://maedevu.maemo.org/images/droid4/20221214-chimaera/
>>
>> You ought to be able to dd it, then connect to wifi, apt update && apt
>> dist-upgrade (just to pull in updates), and then reboot.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
>> Then phone calls will work out of the box, and mobile data should too.
>
> Yes, so far I tested outgoing calls and incoming/outgoing SMS. Stuff
> seems to work. Battery life is poor, but otherwise it seems pretty usable.

What kind of battery life are you seeing? I easily see 1-2 days when the
phone is connected to the cellular network and in my pocket, even with
800mAh battery.

Is this what is in salutem? ( https://github.com/maemo-leste/salutem )

> Contacts uses very small font for phone numbers.

Yeah, the font there is not the same as the nokia font, we'll need to
fix it eventually.

> I'm getting these warnings:
>
> Setting up leste-config-droid4 (1.82-1+m7) ...
> dpkg-divert: error: 'diversion of /lib/udev/rules.d/85-input-devices.rules to /\
> lib/udev/rules.d/85-input-devices.rules.leste-orig by leste-config-droid4' clas\
> hes with 'diversion of /lib/udev/rules.d/85-input-devices.rules to /lib/udev/ru\
> les.d/85-input-devices.rules.leste-orig by leste-config-mapphone'
> dpkg: error processing package leste-config-droid4 (--configure):
> installed leste-config-droid4 package post-installation script subprocess retu\
> rned error exit status 2

Hm -- I thought this problem was resolved. Let me try to do a new image
build later this week.

I think if you use dpkg-divert to remove the diversion on that file, and
then dpkg --reconfigure --force leste-config-mapphone, it should go away.

> I'm getting "sim card registration failed" when I go out of cellphone
> coverage.

Maybe not exactly the right error. :-)

> qtwebbrowser works from cmdline but not from gui.

Hm, that is weird. It works for me - maybe the startup time tricked you?
Let me try on my phone again. Did you fully dist-upgrade, or did the
dist-upgrade stop because of the above divert error?

> gps works after starting gpsd, but it would be nice to start gpsd by
> default.

I believe gpsd will get automatically started if anything uses
liblocation - so maep, gpsrecorder, etc, will start gps, just like in
Maemo Fremantle. gpsd doesn't run by default because there's an option
to disable gps.

Regards,
Merlijn