:: Re: [devuan-dev] Status of the SLiM…
Author: Rob Pearce
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Status of the SLiM login manager project
On 07/01/2023 11:17, Boian Bonev wrote:
> Only the Devuan revision should be incremented to 1.3.9-1devuan2. There
> is no build yet, please fix that before building.
>
> Versioning can be quite confusing in Debian by itself and maintaining
> it for forked packages is even more for the added moving part:
>
> 1.3.9 - upstream version
> 1 - debian revision
> devuan2 - devuan revision

Ah, right, yes. As you say, a bit confused for this case anyway but
hopefully I've put that right now.

>> If people could have a quick review of the changes then I'll set off
>> a build.
> I can't say much about the patch because I do not understand the
> theming part well enough. If that does not break the current default
> theming in a bad way, then why not.

The details of the patch are esoteric and relate to inconsistencies in
how the code is being shared between slim and slimlock, which is an area
I'm trying to clean up in the upstream. The effect of the patch is to
"unbreak" any themes written for versions before V1.3.7 (i.e. all
existing themes!) if they used the feedback for slimlock (which possibly
none of them did) and to make it consistent in slim (where the feedback
was only added at V1.3.7). I suspect that, by nipping it in the bud now,
the only theme which will be directly affected at all is the one I
maintain for my brother's company's systems.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Maintainer of the <href="https://sourceforge.net/projects/slim-fork/">SLiM Login Manager fork</a>