:: Re: [devuan-dev] Status of the SLiM…
Author: Boian Bonev
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Status of the SLiM login manager project
Hi Rob,

On Sat, 2023-01-07 at 09:53 +0000, Rob Pearce wrote:
> I've pushed a new patch to make the (new on this fork)
> passwd_feedback message position work the same as the session and
> general status messages, and the original slimlock version of the
> passwd_feedback.
> This change will be in upstream V1.4.0 but since it affects theme
> definitions (for anyone writing themes for V1.3.9) I felt it worth
> patching before it goes stable!

Nice

> I bumped the version to 1.3.9-2devuan1 - I hope that's the correct
> way to do it.

Only the Devuan revision should be incremented to 1.3.9-1devuan2. There
is no build yet, please fix that before building.

Versioning can be quite confusing in Debian by itself and maintaining
it for forked packages is even more for the added moving part:

1.3.9 - upstream version
1 - debian revision
devuan2 - devuan revision

The main problem is that doing it the other way will not keep track on
which exactly Debian package the fork is based.

In the current situation that can not be achieved becasue Debian's
package is at 1.3.6-5.3 and the Devuan's version is way ahead already.
AFAIK there is no convention for packages that came that much ahead of
Debian's counterpart.

But as long as there are plans to push this work to Debian as well,
if/when it gets accepted, then the first package there will be 1.3.9-1,
then if there are changes, we will merge them in devuan3 and continue
in sync afterwards.

> If people could have a quick review of the changes then I'll set off
> a build.

I can't say much about the patch because I do not understand the
theming part well enough. If that does not break the current default
theming in a bad way, then why not.

With best regards,
b.