:: Re: [devuan-dev] Status of the SLiM…
Author: golinux
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Status of the SLiM login manager project
On 2022-11-23 02:32, Rob Pearce wrote:
> On 23/11/2022 01:44, golinux@??? wrote:
>> Here's a first stab at it.
>
> Aha, "blood and guts of a Vulcan" 😛

Interesting you should mention Vulcan which is actually a part of
Devuan's history! Our first Valentine's Day Alpha was released about the
time of Leonard Nimoy's death and was commemorated with this splash
screen:

https://git.devuan.org/devuan/documentation/src/branch/master/art/graphics/d-i/devuan-notoy-grub-64x480.png

> Certainly better colours but, for the upstream default, and bearing in
> mind the copyright policy of DeviantArt (which is where the original
> background's copyright note listed), a derived work such as that is
> probably not appropriate. One of my brothers is a patent lawyer so I
> want to be careful about doing it right.
>
> Besides, if I'm changing the theme then it should be to a different
> look, not just colour (and I'd keep the existing one as a "legacy"
> theme). I don't see that default background as being in any way a
> "trademark", unlike the Devuan curve. It's almost more of a
> place-holder, since most distros will replace it in their package (or
> in some other way).

The fork is yours to do with as you please. Change the splash or don't.
I wasn't thinking that far ahead. Mostly just wanting to do something
nice for fsmithred and maybe SLiM too. I have "retired" from the Devuan
theming but just did a quickie to play with one of my favorite Devuan
color schemes that hasn't been used for a release yet (and possibly
never will . . . ).

> Thanks anyway.

> Rob

You know where to find me if you want to play with colors . . .

golinux