:: Re: [DNG] ..so, Orson Welles and A…
Author: Peter Duffy
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ..so, Orson Welles and Aldous Huxley predicted Microsoft & Lennart Poettering's "Brave New Trusted Boot World"? :oD [OT]
On Sat, 2022-11-05 at 20:15 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> Didier Kryn said on Sat, 5 Nov 2022 10:04:17 +0100
>
> >     All these "security" features go far over my head. I'm not
> > inclined
> > to devote much time in understanding how it all works.
>
> Same with me. And yet, as unknowledgeable as I am, the last time I
> was
> conscious of being hacked was in the 1990's, when using MS Windows.
>
> > I consider it's
> > intention is to fuck up and lock down ordinary people like me and
> > prevent us  from building and booting the Linux kernel on our own.
>
> I share your opinion.
>
> > This has always been the dedication of LP and that's why he was in
> > his
> > genuine biotope at RedHat and now Micro$oft.
>
> I consider poettering more of a useless idiot. He's a very skilled
> maker of super-complexified software Rube Goldberg machines. Redhat
> and
> microsloth saw great value in the complexification of Linux, so they
> paid him to muck it up worse, and also redhat did a shock and awe
> marketing campaign with the distros to get them to accept systemd.

I'm just finding it really difficult to get a sense of which way the
wind's blowing at the moment and what's going on underneath the
headlines. What is the relationship between Redhat and Microsoft - are
they bankrolling each other, and if so, is it all above board? It just
seems as though LP's move from the former to the latter is being viewed
as just a change of campus - as though it was known all along that it
would happen eventually, and was just part of the underlying
masterplan.

But if there was any truth in that, I'd expect a lot more linux distros
to be frantically trying to dissociate themselves from anything LP has
done - and that would obviously include ditching systemd.

(I guess the UK equivalent of Rube Goldberg is Heath Robinson:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Heath_Robinson