:: Re: [DNG] Init respawns - was: Be p…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Init respawns - was: Be prepared for the fall of systemd
On Sat, 2022-08-06 at 08:36 +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 05/08/2022 à 07:36, Steve Litt a écrit :
> > Perfectionists never finish, and the perfect is the enemy of the good.
>
>      This is absolutely true. But ...
>
>      perfection can be approached when we keep things "simple stupid".
> For example the init script suggested by Karl:
>
>  > for i in /etc/rcS.d/S* /etc/rc2.d/S*
>  > do
>  >   $i start
>  > done
>
>      doesn't need a maintaining community,

Yes it does. The scripts in those directories are extremely complicated, assuming
they're from sysvinit or OpenRC. Of course, they could be refactored to be very
simple, at the cost of screwing up in corner cases.

> and you also consider runit
> is simple enough to fall in the same category.

Absolutely. Runit run scripts are tiny, simple and straightforward. It's easy to
write your own. The C code for Runit is so simple I could take over the project if I
had to.

>      Often, simplifying a problem till the solution is clear and
> obvious, can take a lot of time, but it deserves the effort. It is
> sometimes possible.

Very, very true.

SteveT