:: Re: [DNG] Init respawns - was: Be p…
Author: declassed art
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Init respawns - was: Be prepared for the fall of systemd
maintain it if I had to. The various NetworkManager alternatives that have
sprung up
at Devuan.

Could you point to or list those alternatives, please? I used Devuan
occasionally since Beowulf release but now am going to say goodbye to
Debian. Sometimes I need alternatives even for ifupdown. Here's my recent
bicycle, btw, that might explain my needs:
https://declassed.art/en/blog/2022/07/22/ethwifi-throw-away-networking-tools-and-keep-simple-things-simple

And, I hope you excuse a newbie for a bit more: I had to use services of a
corporation of the good to post this message. I'm a bit passionate about
self-hosted software and email is not an exclusion. Never had problems for
last year with it but mailing lists spotted the problem:
Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname
Yes, I'm aware of ptr records, but... setting up email is still complicated
as it was 20 years ago. I see no progress over these years. Ideally I'd
like to run an email server on my smartphone (and a backup relay on another
one). If anyone could do that easily that would make email truly
decentralized but there are still obstacles on the way to freedom. It's
funny, working for a company in a "country of freedom" I had to ask
permission to commit bugfixes to free software we used (finally, those
commits did not happen). Now I'm totally liberated but I'm stuck in a devil
country and have to use dnat'ed channels over vpn to my actual servers. So
I don't want to touch ptr records. How it comes I had no problems with
sending regular emails so far? Yes, I'm curious too. You know what? The
corporation of the good, where most of my few recipients are, _does not
check ptr records_! Wow! After discovering that I immediately commented out
these lines in my smtpd.conf:
#filter "rdns" phase connect match !rdns disconnect "550 DNS error"
#filter "fcrdns" phase connect match !fcrdns disconnect "550 DNS error"
If _they_ are not restrictive why am I still on the devil side so far?
Did I get tons of spam? No. Anyway I don't delete spam for future analysis
if I ever want to write my own mail server. And, dkim checker still works
well.

Well, I just wrote a draft for my next blog post, sorry. Anyway, I don't
appeal to anything, this is just feedback. Who knows what your fairly
elected presidents do with the internet tomorrow? Just an allusion, a
similar thing happened to Debian.

Axy