:: Re: [DNG] article about devuan
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] article about devuan
On Sat, 30 Jul 2022 06:07:53 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 2022-07-29 at 14:27 +0200, tito via Dng wrote:
> > https://linuxiac.com/best-systemd-free-linux-distributions/
> >
> > I think the author knows nothing about devuan and spreads FUD
> >

> I thought most of the Devuan review was accurate and complimentary. However, I've
> never thought of Devuan as "retro" or particularly inconvenient for newbies.
>
> SteveT

Hi,

FUD:"And now we come to the last Linux distro on our list, where things get extreme.
This is because we’re not just discussing another systemd-free Linux distribution,
but one on a mission against systemd. But first, let me explain what this is all about."

Devuan is on a mission for init system freedom not against something.

FUD: "Unfortunately, its widespread adoption is hampered by several factors."

Of the listed distributions only MX and Slackware rank betteer on distrowatch.com, the other
rank at about the same positions as Devuan.

"First, due to the distribution’s establishment by a group of old-school Linux administrators,
many of its features are reminiscent of Linux distributions from 15 or more years ago."

FUD: devuan shares the same packages with current Debian almost to 100%.

"For example, the installer is not something that an average Linux user could manage easily."

FUD: The installer is the same as Debian's

"In addition, many of the useful graphical tools that modern Linux users are used to are absent."

FUD.: I know of no such useful graphical tools that are absent apart of "cockpit", anyway they
         are not listed so this is an allegation with no proof.

"Yes, Devuan is Debian without systemd, but we should add something else.
This distribution is not intended for the average Linux user, for whom UNIX
philosophy and GNU values are just words."

FUD: the author doesn't know personally every linux users so how does he know?

"To use and understand Devuan, you must change your mindset and perception of the distribution’s
core beliefs. Because, in my perspective, Devuan is first philosophy and secondarily a Linux distribution."

FUD: to use devuan you have just to keep the mindset you had with previous versions of Debian.

Ciao,
Tito