:: Re: [DNG] do I need drivers for
Author: Tomasz Torcz
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] do I need drivers for
On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 09:13:35PM -0500, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 5:16 PM tito via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 17:10:51 -0500
> > o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings
> > >
> > > Bought a mobo that said that there was room for 8 SATA ports and 2 M2 drives.
> > >
> > > It took looking in the fine print to find that when using M2 drives
> > > that one loses an
> > > SATA port for each M2 drive.

They may be SATA-only M.2, not NVMe. Read the manual closely.

> > > Have found some PCIe 3.0 cards with 16 SATA port count.
> > >
> > > Do I need any kind of special driver to use this many SATA ports?
> >
> > What kind of SATA cards (brand, model, chip)?
> >

> SATA PCIe Adapter 16 Port SATA III to PCI Express 3.0 X1 Controller
> Expansion Card ASM1064 JBM575 Chip

Best try is always to search for the chip markings. You would find
this thread:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-ide/05f0db0a-e961-0f68-4302-68be034594af@opensource.wdc.com/T/
There's a slight difference (ASM1062 vs ASM1064) but the card should work with
standard AHCI driver (you may need to add pciids or bind the driver to
the card).

--
Tomasz Torcz                                                       72->|   80->|
tomek@???                                               72->|   80->|