:: Re: [DNG] do I need drivers for
Author: o1bigtenor
CC: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] do I need drivers for
On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 5:16 PM tito via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 17:10:51 -0500
> o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> > Greetings
> >
> > Bought a mobo that said that there was room for 8 SATA ports and 2 M2 drives.
> >
> > It took looking in the fine print to find that when using M2 drives
> > that one loses an
> > SATA port for each M2 drive.
> >
> > So in a system with 2 M2s and a pair of SSDs for the operating system
> > I've only got space left for 4 SATA drives - - - - and I have 5 that
> > are to be placed in the case after everything is set up.
> >
> > The case has room for some over 20 more drives than I'm starting with
> > so space is NOT an issue.
> >
> > Have found some PCIe 3.0 cards with 16 SATA port count.
> >
> > Do I need any kind of special driver to use this many SATA ports?
>
> What kind of SATA cards (brand, model, chip)?

SATA PCIe Adapter 16 Port SATA III to PCI Express 3.0 X1 Controller
Expansion Card ASM1064 JBM575 Chip
from newegg .ca at under $140 w/o taxes.

There is only some $20 difference or so from some of the 8 port cards
to this one.
There are drivers mentioned for Windows but I can't find anything when
I'm searching
for linux + PCIe + card + SATA controller + drivers + ASM 1064 so
thought I would
tap the community to find answer(s).

TIA