:: Re: [DNG] do I need drivers for
Author: o1bigtenor
To: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] do I need drivers for
On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 11:53 PM Tomasz Torcz <tomek@???> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 09:13:35PM -0500, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 5:16 PM tito via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> They may be SATA-only M.2, not NVMe. Read the manual closely.

> > > What kind of SATA cards (brand, model, chip)?
> > >

> > SATA PCIe Adapter 16 Port SATA III to PCI Express 3.0 X1 Controller
> > Expansion Card ASM1064 JBM575 Chip
>
> Best try is always to search for the chip markings. You would find
> this thread:
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-ide/05f0db0a-e961-0f68-4302-68be034594af@opensource.wdc.com/T/
> There's a slight difference (ASM1062 vs ASM1064) but the card should work with
> standard AHCI driver (you may need to add pciids or bind the driver to
> the card).

In inverse order:
This particular chip '1064' is not listed in the pci.id directory
although the company is.
Will that cause problems for my use?
Binding the driver to the card does not look at all straightforward.
If this is something that
I would need to do - - - - would I be able to get assistance (please)?

Reading in ASMedia Technologies web site.
in ascending order:
1061 - - - 2 ports
1062 - - - Gen 2 x 2 (pcie) - 2 ports
1064 - - - Gen 3 x 1 (pcie) - 4 ports
1164 - - - Gen 3 x 2 (pcie) - 4 ports
1166 - - - Gen 3 x 2 (pcie) - 6 ports

The AHCI driver lists the ASM1062 and also the ASM1062 with the JMB575.
There is no listing for the 1064 or the other two newer chips.
Does this mean that I might have issues using this card?

Greatly appreciating the gentle introduction to the arcane arts of 'under the
hood tinkering' (!!!).

Thank you greatly for your assistance.

Aj