:: Re: [DNG] do I need drivers for
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] do I need drivers for
On Wednesday 22 June 2022 at 01:04:24, Antony Stone wrote:

> I have a machine with a motherboard having 6 SATA ports, into which are
> connected one SSD and five HDDs; it also has two USB3 ports into which are
> plugged two Fantec 8-drive external cabinets, each containing 8 SATA disks,
> so the total range of my /dev/sdX devices is /dev/sda to /dev/sdv.

PS: Just in case you wonder "hm, sdv is awfully close to sdz - what happens
next?", the answer is simply that the standard Linux kernel then moves on to
device names /dev/sdaa, /dev/sdab, etc...

I'm not sure where the current limit of device names is, but I don't think
you'll be able to reach it with any hardware means of connecting drives (you
might manage it at a push with iSCSI devies etc).

Antony.

--
What do you call a dinosaur with only one eye? A Doyouthinkesaurus.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.