:: Re: [DNG] install on a raid 1 array
Author: Adrian Zaugg
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] install on a raid 1 array
Hi TIA

In der Nachricht vom Thursday, 2 June 2022 00:16:05 CEST steht:
> My idea was to partition the disks just like normal after the array was
> built. Is that possible?

Yes, it's possible: You may set up a partionable md array. The installer does
not offer partionable arrays, it just offers arrays of partions. Partionable
arrays are built over the whole device and then the md device is partionned.
With this, if a disk fails, you can just replace it without cloning the
partition table fist. See man 8 mdadm under --auto mdp for a description.

You can boot a live system prior to installing and set up your mdp array. I
use grml since it has all tools onboard. Then start the installer and install
Devuan. Your mdp device will appear in the partion manager. Add your partions
as you like and install. Don't forget to tell your ext4 the correct settings
for stride and stripe-width using tune2fs afterwards.

I've just tested this in a VM with chimaera and it worked, The Installer
created DOS disk labels, although I had previously written a GPT disk label to
the mdp device. The reason might be my KVM doesn't have UEFI Support. I don't
know if it is possible with GPT/UEFI, which was at times of ascii or jessie
not working with mdp arrays, if I remember right.

Regards, Adrian.

BTW: I would combine one M2 and one SATA SSD to a RAID1 using the mdadm
--write-mostly flag for the SATA drives. I like to have a fast /home aswell.

BBTW: Another possibility would be to use btrfs instead of mdadm, which has
built-in raid functionality.