:: Re: [DNG] install on a raid 1 array
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] install on a raid 1 array
On Thu, Jun 02, 2022 at 09:26:21AM +1000, onefang wrote:
> On 2022-06-01 19:07:24, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> From memory /efi has to be read by the BIOS / UEFI, and has to be a FAT
> partition. It later gets mounted to /boot/efi.

> > > Interesting - - - that wiki is current as of 2012.
> > > That's why I wasn't trusting the information - - - - the newest stuff
> > > I could find was
> > > some 3 or 4 years old and I've found that newer stuff has different
> > > gotchas than
> > > the older versions.
> > >
> > > The assumption is that LLVM is used on top of the array. (from the wiki)
> > > Is that necessary?
> > > (I've never used LLVM to date!)
> > >
> > > My idea was to partition the disks just like normal after the array was built.
> > > Is that possible?
> >
> > Yes, it is possible. I use LVM over RAID on my system because it offers more flexibility if I have to repartition.
> >
> > In fact, I have two separate RAID 1's -- one for partitions that are divided up the traditional way, and the other for partitions that are done with LVM.
> >
> > /boot is on the traditionally divided RAID. Back when I set it up, if /boot was on a RAID it had to be a RAID of the old format, not the new. I don't know if that still applies.
> >
> > And, LVM is the Logical Vomume Manager. LLVM is the Low Level Virtual Machine, used by some compilers (such as clang) in generating object code.
> >
> > -- hendrik
>
> Note that you can use mdadm, or LVM on top of mdadm. I stick with mdadm
> RAID on my server coz I don't need the extra flexibility, and it's less
> complex.

mdadm is what I use for my RAIDs too,

One has LVM on it; the other a normal partition.

And I have another tiny partition on each disk, outside the RAID, in which i have a file whose name is the same as the label I've taped to the physical drive.
This saves a lot of confusion when one of my physical drives is failing and I have to figure out which physical rive it is.

-- hendrik