:: Re: [DNG] New build + extras
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] New build + extras
On Tue, 31 May 2022 14:37:36 -0500, o1bigtenor wrote in message
<CAPpdf5_8yi1ScD=zZUmdLZ1xST-9JXBX9xtMVZm6WTZVLkzVZg@???>:

> On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 10:48 AM Arnt Karlsen <arnt@???> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 31 May 2022 09:18:43 -0500, o1bigtenor wrote in message
> > <CAPpdf58vkcoGSeXXjVC8DwEZNBM-AnOYMY-WA=-jQt3nj=TD8g@???>:

> > > I am finding that web browsers are quite greedy when its comes to
> > > system resources - - - especially the cpu but so far it seems
> > > like the most I'm seeing is maybe 2 cores in use rarely more.
> >
> > ..starve them! No web browser deserve more than 2 to 4 cpu threads
> > or more than 4GB of ram. I watch youtube videos on Google's
> > chromium web browser at nice -n 17 at 1920x1200@60Hz on my 2 Dell
> > Precision M4400 (8GB ram, one has an Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 @
> > 2.80GHz and the other a T9400 @ 2.53GHz cpu, both has NVIDIA's
> > G96GLM [Quadro FX 770M] running the nouveau driver. (I usually
> > prefer youtube at 1280x800, less stutter in rain, wireless ISP.)
>
> Like that idea - - - but - - - how?

..pass, too much overhead for my wee cpus. RT throttling/scheduling
might work for me, once I get around to check it out. My biggest
problem is keeping the keyboard alive when the graphics hangs.

> (Are there any other ramifications to doing this?)

..depends on e.g. which wms, and what you run in them, me, I prefer
crashing a browser tab rather than that whole damn browser, or the
OS. Usually it kills either the input driver or the graphics driver,
easily fixed over ssh.

> > ..ok, 4K video games etc might need more, just keep them in qemu etc
> > vms, no need to let any of that crap crash your hardware. RT, nice
> > etc is there to help you kill the crap you keep in virtual machines.
> >
> > > Between most software not using more than a few cores and cost
> > > was what decided me on this particular proc.
> > > None of the more core procs run at 3.8 GHz base (I think there is
> > > a bump up available too on the chosen model) so until a lot of
> > > programs make use of multi-core I thought it not worth going for
> > > more cores.
> >
> > ..I'd lean towards more cores rather than higher speeds, you can
> > much more easily throw things into vms and let them chew thru with
> > a dozen cpu treads, with 2, virtualization approaches virtual
> > uselessness. ;o)
>
> I got badly burned (imo anyway) digging into containers (LXD) a while
> ago now and am quite cured of any curiosity in that regard at
> present. So at present
> virtualization and I are not really on speaking terms (nevermind
> actually running some kind of containerization).
>
> Looking forward to finding out how to starve browsers from devouring
> all system resources!!!

..try play around with qemu, works even on my wee old cpus.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: