:: Re: [DNG] mouse driver question
Author: Fred
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Looking for xorg.conf (was Re: mouse driver question)
Subject: Re: [DNG] mouse driver question
On 4/23/22 12:53, karl@??? wrote:
> Fred:
>> On 4/23/22 02:34, karl@??? wrote:
>>> So, make sure you are running in a virtual console and logged in as
>>> root, then run the gpm -b etc. thing and move the mouse around.
>>>
>>> To make the mouse to work in X11, please test the mouse with gpm in
>>> a console first to assert basic functionality, and then come back.
>
> Did you do the test above ?
>
> As long the serial port isn't opened by anything,
> you can let X11 and openbox be running.
>
> If so, press Ctl-Alt-F2 buttons simultaineusly to get to a console.
> There log in as root
> and then try one of
>    gpm -b 1200 -m /dev/ttyUSB0 -t msc
>    gpm -b 1200 -m /dev/ttyUSB0 -t sun
>    gpm -b 1200 -m /dev/ttyUSB0 -t mman
> and move the mouse to test.

>> A previous post mentioned xorg.conf which doesn't appear to exist in
>> Devuan Beowulf (AMD64).
>> So, where do I go from here?
>
> You can either
> A, do a xorg configuration with the mouse driver
>     man xorg.conf is your friend.

> B, try inputattach to make the mouse appear as a /dev/input/* device
>     and be automatically included by X11, I haven't tested this. See

>     https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Serial_input_device_to_kernel_input
>     https://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxconsole/files/
>     https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialMouseHowto
>     https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Serial_Mouse

> Regards,
> /Karl Hammar

It is going to take me a few days to get back to try your suggestions.
I am drowning in things to do.

If gpm only works in a virtual terminal why do I need to continue
working with it? I don't use a virtual terminal.

I had previously looked for xorg.conf in /etc/X11 where one would expect
a config. file to be. I did find one at
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-intel/xorg.conf. It had a single
entry and didn't appear likely to be read for mouse configuration.

Best regards,
Fred