:: Re: [DNG] mouse driver question
Author: Fred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] mouse driver question
On 4/22/22 14:21, Fred wrote:
> On 4/22/22 13:46, karl@??? wrote:
>> Fred:
>>> As I said in an earlier post there is an article on using a (different)
>>> Sun mouse on Linux.  The protocol used was msc.  From looking at the
>>> output with an oscilloscope that protocol does appear close if not
>>> correct.
>>
>>   Type-4 and -5 mice seems to been made by mouse systems:
>> https://www.oldmouse.com/mouse/mousesystems/sun.shtml
>> http://www.telltronics.org/hardware/SunMouse.html
>>
>> My own sun moues is a type compact-1 and is done by Logitech.
>>
>> So your primary choises would be msc and mman (in gpm parlance).
>>

>>> As I said in an earlier post I haven't been able to get gpm to do
>>> anything with the pointer.
>>
>> Have you tried:
>>
>>   mouse-test [ device ]
>>
>> Regards,
>> /Karl Hammar

> Hi,
> That program is actually gpm-mouse-test.  According to the man page it
> is incomplete but otherwise would be helpful.  The mouse I would like to
> use appears as a serial port but gpm-mouse-test doesn't provide any
> option for baud rate.  The author is listed in the man page and I will
> email him to stir the pot.
>
> The Sun mouse I would like to use is also a compact-1.  Does the
> mouse-test program you mention work with your compact-1 mouse and
> therefore is actually a different program than the one in the gpm package?
>
> Best regards,
> Fred

I tried the gpm-mouse-test program and it is more complete than the man
page indicates. It does try several baud rates. It appeared to be able
to see the mouse present but was not able to detect the protocol. I
don't know whether that was because of a bug in the program or the mouse
uses a custom protocol. As I said in an earlier post I used the mouse
(long ago) on Debian Jessie with gpm and it worked with msc protocol.

The gpm-mouse-test program also did not detect the regular USB mouse so
it may have some problems.
Best regards,
Fred