:: Re: [DNG] Chimaera installation iss…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Chimaera installation issue (regulatory.db)
Hi,

al3xu5 via Dng <dng@???> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi
>
> This is to report an istallation issue with Chimaera (net install).
>
> The setup process halted at the beginning asking the "firmware"(???)
> package for 'regulatory.db'.

I've encountered this too, for Daedalus even. I had no problem
installing via a wireless connection *without* this file. YMMV.

> After some investigation I found it is related to a wireless-regdb package:
>
>> wireless regulatory database for Linux
>> This package provides a machine-readable database of legal
>> regulations on radio emissions that affect use of wireless networking.
>> The Linux kernel and drivers use this to maintain compliance with
>> those regulations.
>
> I (was in doubt and) provided (on a USB key) two packages:
>
> wireless-regdb_2020.04.29-2_all.deb
> wireless-regdb-udeb_2020.04.29-2_all.udeb
>
> Then the setup process went ahead.
>
> Maybe this should be handled by the setup program.

I agree. The installer should not prompt people to provide "firmware"
files that are available from packages that are in main.

I do seem to remember that the handling of the file changed a bit and
that now the kernel loads it instead of whatever used happen before
that.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                    FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27