:: Re: [devuan-mirrors] Making the Dev…
Author: onefang
To: devuan-mirrors
Subject: Re: [devuan-mirrors] Making the Devuan package mirrors DNS-RR better.
On 2022-01-27 14:00:40, Matthias Kruk wrote:
>    Hello,
>    I think the country code for [1]devuan.m10k.jp should be JP (I'm assuming
>    these are ISO 3166, right?).

Correct, ISO 3166.

I had typoed that, sorry. Fixed now, and your additions added.

>    Since there is only one other Asian mirror in Taiwan, I think mine should
>    also serve China, the Koreas, and the Philippines. If that sounds right,
>    could you please change the country codes for [2]devuan.m10k.jp to the
>    following?
>    CountryCode: JP | CN | KP | KR | PH

Those are the correct countries codes. It's OK to have multiple mirrors
for the same country, coz sometimes mirrors go down. But only you can
know which ones you want to serve. Should I add Taiwan to yours to?

One of the reasons we are doing this is we will be hooking my
apt-panopticon mirror tester to the DNS system. The basic idea is that
the mirrors are tested every ten minutes, those that work and want to be
included in the RR get included in the RR, same for the country codes RR.
In this way we ensure that the DNS RR points to mirrors we are sure are
actually working, not to ones that are having troubles, and if the
trouble is short lived, they get added back again soon after. Also less
manual work for adding / removing mirrors, I just edit the list, the
automation takes care of everything else.