:: Re: [DNG] Early Days at Bell Labs -…
Author: Dr. Nikolaus Klepp
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Youtube, the systemd of video
Subject: Re: [DNG] Early Days at Bell Labs - Youtube, the systemd of video
Anno domini 2022 Sun, 16 Jan 11:56:51 +0000
ael via Dng scripsit:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 04:12:44AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> >
> > This was discussed on the devuan-offtopic IRC channel, so I watched the
> > video:
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECCr_KFl41E
>
> But youtube has become impossible to watch with hideous intrusive
> deviant advertisements... And google seem to have found a way to make
> youtube-dl hopelessly slow. Not to mention that the YT viewer is
> dire: you can't slow down or speed up etc like, say, mpv.

Install umatrix + ublock-origin and that pestilence is gone. Be aware that you'll have to fiddle with umatrix to get videos playing.

yt-download is gon with the wind. Use a fork like yt-ldp https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp - that's what I have in use.

> A bit off topic, I know...
>
> Does anyone know of a way of accessing youtube nowadays without wasting
> huge amounts of time and losing the will to live and all concentration
> before getting to the proper topic (etc)?

No. yt is broken, since "AI" took over.

Nik