:: [DNG] Youtube, the systemd of video
Author: ael
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Youtube, the systemd of video
On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 01:38:52PM +0100, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via Dng wrote:

> Install umatrix + ublock-origin and that pestilence is gone. Be aware that you'll have to fiddle with umatrix to get videos playing.
>
> yt-download is gon with the wind. Use a fork like yt-ldp https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp - that's what I have in use.

Since my off-topic remark seems to have spawned so much traffic, I will
mention that I hae been using Noscript, Adblock latitude and uBlock
Origin in my default browser for many years, and do not normally see
any advertisements.

The youtube video stuff embedded in/preprended to the video stream seemed to be
something different. Perhaps I could have found a way to block that.
But, as I think I conveyed, I didn't want to view these videos in
a browser anyway: just keep downloading and viewing as and when I
chose with a highly flexible player like mpv or mplayer or whatever.
Just as I was used to with youtube-dl. But Nikolaus has solved that
by pointing to yt-dl which I ought to have found myself.

Not that I want to inhibit the extended conversation about blocking
more generally. Thanks to everyone.

ael