:: Re: [DNG] A number of question abou…
Author: Ludovic Bellière
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] A number of question about version 4.0
Hello Larry,

On Thu, 13 Jan 2022, Larry Linder via Dng wrote:

>I have loaded and it connects up to our network without a problem.
>
>1. I would like to change desktops as default is too dark to be read.

That should be under the look&feel entry of your user settings. Don't know the
actual name, as my UI is in french.

>2. I need to add users to this system. Currently we have 50 systems in
>our shop and many different users of each system. I cannot add new
>users or find out how to do it. The passwords required are a pain int
>he ass. Is there a way to get rid of this.

About 20 years ago was a distro named Mandrake Linux. It was a great distro for
the desktop. With it came a GUI to do user management, yet nowadays I find it
strange that there is no unified GUI to do just that.

There is, however, a package that install such tools. It is called
gnome-system-tools. Don't be fooled by the name, it is somewhat independent from
gnome. Once installed, if it's not already present, you should find a new entry
in the "system" menu of your applications menu called something like "Users and
Groups". From there you can add or remove users as you see fit.

>3. I need to run a combination of 64 it and 32 bit engrineering
>application. We currently do this on SL 6.5 updated to 6.10 and it all
>works.

Installing i386 dependencies isn't an issue on debian/devuan either. You'll just
have to specify that you need to 32bit version when using apt, like `apt install
some-package-name:i386'.

Cheers,
                 Ludovic