:: Re: [DNG] A number of question abou…
Author: terryc
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] A number of question about version 4.0
On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 20:00:51 -0500
Larry Linder via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> I have loaded and it connects up to our network without a problem.
>
> 1. I would like to change desktops as default is too dark to be read.

I do not know what the default desktop is.
I run xfce4.
Does a mouse right click on the desktop bring up a menu?
Down the bottom into 'Applications", then 'Settings", then "Desktop"
might help initially (change back ground)

> 2. I need to add users to this system. Currently we have 50 systems
> in our shop and many different users of each system. I cannot add new
> users or find out how to do it. The passwords required are a pain int
> he ass. Is there a way to get rid of this.

What are the systems?
When our SOHO grew to multiple linux systems. I developed a list of
USER+UUID, so each user(real or virtual) has a unique UserID across all
systems. E.G
   USER    uid
  fred     12001
  hugo     12002
  mary     12003
  gisop    12004
  webadmin 12005

So your can do 'sudo adduser fred -uid 12001' and so on.
Hint 'man adduser'
You can set an initial passwd and require them to change it.

This way, using NFS is problem free.

The hard part is getting everything existing initially standardised.

I can not help you with password management systems. YMMVv, but I juust
found them overly complex for our need.

> 3. I need to run a combination of 64 it and 32 bit engrineering
> application. We currently do this on SL 6.5 updated to 6.10 and it
> all works.

As suggested, add multiarch

> Any hope

Just keep asking questions