:: [DNG] request for assistance
Author: o1bigtenor
To: Devuan ML
Subject: [DNG] request for assistance
Greetings

When I put this system together ( a LONG time ago) nvidia was not
quite the pariah it has become in the open source community. So I'm
stuck with nouveau for drivers (its a long explanation but trust me
I'm STUCK there!).

Nouveau is really not as wonderful as it purports to be and I would
love nothing better than to move to a Radeon solution except changing
the whole system for that is just a little cost prohibitive and then
newer gpus are mostly limited to at best 4 outputs and I have 5. Don't
really want to buy 2 cards either as that makes things just too bloody
expensive. So a new system is on hold until this one shows definite
signs of imminent demise or somebody drops a bunch of $$$ into my
pocket (fat chance of that!!).

So I have filed a bug report over at nouveau's system and they are
telling me to do something that I just can't find any information on
the web as a how to. Maybe someone here knows this area
(kernel/gpu/drm/whatever other software they're dragging in!) and
could advise.

I'm told to:

rebuild the kernel with CONFIG_NOUVEAU_DEBUG_PUSH=y

followed by:

boot the machine with drm.debug=0x16 log_bug_len=50m nouveau.debug=disp=trace

(the second command is maybe covered here:
https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/kernel-boot-parameter-edit/
but if there is a better/easier way please advise!!)

Is there anyone who can help?

(I really want to use that 4k monitor - - - I've been looking at it
for about 8 months now and when I connect it well - - - I get 2 to 16
hours of uptime and then its time to reboot - - - a royal pita(!!!!)
at best)

TIA