:: Re: [DNG] [OT] Apple Mac programmin…
Author: Simon
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] Apple Mac programming (was: bash / quote weirdness)
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

>> I recall a lot of resistance when Apple brought out the Mac and suddenly programmers had to learn how to write programs that did what the user wanted - when the user wanted.
>
> Sounds good. But for the first two years the Mac was out, programmers couldn't use it to write programs. To program it you had to use a much moe expensive machine, and Apple Lisa.
>
> Not what I, a potential user, wanter.
>
> After two years, somewone marketed a Pascal interpreter -- not even a compiler.

Indeed, there were multiple issues at first - but programmers resistant to doing a bit of work so the user didn’t have to was one of them.
Back in 84 I was at Uni and took out out for a Test Drive and Apple was calling it back then - no intension or ability to actually buy one ! I do recall when I returned it and being asked what I thought, replying along the lines of “nice machine, pity they are trying to cripple it with s**t marketing” as the test drive program was (IMO) really horrible.

At work I have to use Windows laptops, and it’s a constant reminder of how Apple brought standardisation every time I try Ctrl-W and remember that in Outlook it’s Esc to close a window, or in IE Ctrl-W doesn’t work if it’s a PDF in the window. MS can’t even standardise basics within it’s own dross, so it’s no wonder no-one else bothers either.
We had the full set of Inside Mac back then - strange to think that the entire programming manuals (dead trees back then) were only about 3” thick back then ! But one of the 3 manuals was entirely dedicated to what the UI should look like and how it should work.

Was it Borland that did the Pascal first ?

Simon