:: Re: [DNG] Pipewire and PulseAudio: …
Author: wirelessduck
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Pipewire and PulseAudio: apulse & firefox

> On 21 Dec 2021, at 07:37, Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
>
> Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng said on Mon, 20 Dec 2021 18:49:59 +0900
>

>> ACK. I really wish the xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin dependency were
>> downgraded to a Recommends:. Note to self, submit a bugreport!
>>
>> # Don't mind if someone else beats me to it. If so, submit to Debian
>> # BTS cuz this ain't no Devuan bug.
>>
>> While I agree that marking all dependencies of xfce4 is a PITA, the
>> list is not all that long. Even if it were
>>
>> sudo apt-mark manual \
>>  $(dpkg-query -W -f '${Depends}\n' xfce4
>>       | sed 's/([^)]*)//g; s/,//g')

>> should do the trick.
>>
>> Warning: Check the output of the command in $() before feeding it to
>> apt-mark. If there's any `|` in there, DON'T feed it to apt-mark.
>>
>> After that you can, in theory,
>>
>> apt purge xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin
>>
>> without losing your xfce4 dependencies.
>>
>> URK! Dogfooding this, I am told that another 150+ are going to be
>> purged, most likely because of task-desktop and task-xfce-desktop being
>> automatically installed.
>>
>> Hmm, doesn't look as easy as I first thought.
>
> About the only positive thing I can say about xfce is it's better than
> Gnome, KDE and the now defunct Unity. Except compared to those, it's
> not particularly lightweight, and my experience is it's been quirky on
> Linux (but not OpenBSD) for the past decade, at least. There are so
> many great WMDEs (Window Manager/Desktop Environment) that it's a shame
> to use xfce.
>
> I use Openbox and have no problems, ever. When I take it on the road
> and want a complete setup with panel, I use LXDE, which is a panel and
> various programs to run with Openbox. If LXDE isn't available, LXQt is
> almost as good. I have info on how to set it up at:
>
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/quickhacks.htm#startxlxqt
>
> Other outstanding WMDEs include fvwm, IceWM, Windowmaker, jwm, i9, and
> a host of others. From my perspective, there's absolutely no reason to
> use xfce.
>
> SteveT

I followed your guide for openbox and it’s quite nice, combined with tilda for console and tint2 for panel. Adding the 6 pixel left margin is a nice hack to always have access to the openbox menu even with full screen applications!

Do you have any suggestions on a replacement for xfce4-appfinder that can search through .desktop files as well as $PATH? The nice thing about xfce4-appfinder is the two separate interfaces for searching .desktop (alt+F3) and $PATH (alt+F2).