:: Re: [DNG] system administration of …
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] system administration of non-systemd distros and releases
On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 20:29:07 -0600
Rod Rodolico <rodo@???> wrote:

> For a really nice Linux based router distro, look at IPFire
> (https://www.ipfire.org/). They suffer from being too small, so they
> don't have a lot of people testing, so updates sometimes have issues.
> But, it is very secure, and has good support on the mailing lists.
>
> I use opnSense (FreeBSD, https://opnsense.org/), but only because I'm a
> control freak and want to do every little thing myself. But, when I have
> a client who wants to manage their own firewall/router, I set up IPFire
> for them.
>
> A long time ago, I built a couple of firewalls from scratch (based on
> Debian). I learned my lesson and figured out very fast it was better to
> find a project like IPFire/opnSense and just support them :)
>
> Rod

Hi.
I've tried all of them and every single one had something I
didn't like or some glitches or the interesting stuff was paywalled.
In the end I went for the DIY route which has lots of advantages:

1) you learn a lot while setting it up
2) you get exactly what you want
3) you get timely security updates
4) you get rid of image based updates
5) as long as debian/devuan exists you are good to go, the only
     time limit is the life of your hardware
6) you can stick with x86 boards and avoid all soc's
    and exotic arch boards that are abandoned the same moment
     you buy them
7) you get  lots of cards an spare parts to play with and repair
      and enhance your router

Ciao,
Tito