:: Re: [DNG] system administration of …
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] system administration of non-systemd distros and releases
tito via Dng said on Mon, 22 Nov 2021 14:08:26 +0100

>On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 04:41:23 -0500
>Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
>
>> steph.tougard said on Sun, 21 Nov 2021 04:19:36 +0000
>>

>> >My Devuan is behind an OpenBSD. The OpenBSD has no software
>> >installed, it's a pure system as release by the OpenBSD team, the
>> >code base is small, strongly audited by a very small and known
>> >team. It can be considered safe, at least safer. Much safer than
>> >any Debian based distribution. My network configuration is so safe
>> >that I could safely store unencrypted Bitcoin private keys on an
>> >unpatched Windows 98 without any risk if I wish.
>>
>> We've all built OpenBSD/pf firewall/routers. You didn't think of
>

>.....and linux routers.

LOL, believe it or not, I haven't yet built a Linux router.

My main point was just because OpenBSD plus pf makes an outstanding
firewall doesn't mean that any BSD is necessarily the best OS to put
*behind* that firewall.

In late 2014, OpenBSD was my #1 potential escape route from systemd.
Please remember, Devuan didn't exist as an installable system back
then. I ultimately chose Void Linux instead, for two reasons:

1) Having to deal with Theo.

2) OpenBSD at the time had no hardware-accelerated Qemu or other VM.

#1 was an annoyance, not a showstopper. #2 was a showstopper, because
there will *always* be an application not available on your distro but
available on another.

I understand #2 has been fixed; that there's now an OpenBSD specific VM
system that's hardware accelerated. But by this time I have six years
with Void Linux, and it would take a lot to make me move.

Linux and BSD are close cousins, so Linux and BSD users should be
allies.

SteveT

Steve Litt