:: Re: [DNG] system administration of …
Author: Syeed Ali
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] system administration of non-systemd distros and releases
On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 21:30:38 -0500
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> Peter Duffy said on Fri, 26 Nov 2021 11:08:27 +0000
>
> >It's a bit like the charlatans and fake doctors in past centuries.
> >They'd invent an illness, and then claim to have a remedy for it:
> >
> >https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/marthambles
>
> Or, more recently, http://bentcarrot.com.
>
> It's bent? Oh, the horror!

I went reading for a laugh.

Then I went hunting for an "it's all a troll lol" admission that it's a
joke website.

I don't know if it is.

Their chain of references was:
https://www.endo.com/endopharma/therapeutic-areas/urology-mens-health/peyronies-disease
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/peyronies-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20353468
Alternate:
https://menshealth.mayoclinic.org/ServiceLine/peyronies-disease/?Id=11
And for what it's worth:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyronie%27s_disease

If these sources are legit then I am ethically obligated to bring up..

There is a similar issue to the fake disease: A genuine problem exists
but is said to be imaginary while the sufferers and their advocates (if
any) are painted as bad and society laughs at them.

Your reaction to bent carrot was that same laughter and the equivalent
of "shut up and man up".

To pull it back on topic, I do personally think systemd is some
variation to busywork for money, a solution to a problem that doesn't
exist, inventing complexity, premature optimization and I don't know
what else.

It hurts my brain, but for many things I try to wonder if I'm stuck in
my ways or somehow can't see the full picture. I'm jaded at marketing,
and I know to not trust paid advocates or people who are shackled to
something by employment or social elements, but I'm still kinda open.

----

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wastebasket_diagnosis