:: Re: [DNG] system administration of …
Author: Syeed Ali
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] system administration of non-systemd distros and releases
On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 10:11:15 -0500
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> Imagine if they made a car with the engine compartment welded shut,
> and gave you a little cockpit in the passenger compartment to control
> a robot inside the engine compartment that would do maintenance and
> repairs.
>
> What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Well cars to have on-board computers which require specialized devices
etc to get at the data.

Businesses with tractors know all about the intentional lockdown
preventing them from maintaining their own equipment.

Thinking about all that leads to the right to repair and the problems
that patents and proprietary systems bring.

It feels much the same by making "open source" software convoluted and
then providing specialized support services. I'm reminded of Microsoft
certification.