:: Re: [DNG] system administration of …
Author: Peter Duffy
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] system administration of non-systemd distros and releases
So customers pay to be insulated from complexity. Just so obviously a
blatant restating of the M$ attitude - which is the reason why there are
so many clueless computer users the world over, and by extension, so
much cybercrime.

But if systemd makes it more difficult to solve problems, and makes the
system more unreliable, then the customers aren't even getting what they
paid for before systemd was introduced. The problem is obviously proving
whether or not systemd really does make a system more
unreliable/undiagnosable. The argument for/against is just so completely
and rabidly polarised that getting any impartial evidence about any
aspect of it is about as feasible as getting impartial evidence about
the effects of brexit.

I've wondered for a long time if it would be independently possible to
make systemd optional. I had in mind a kind of virtual plugboard which
would sit between the system and the init subsystem, and to some extent
control interaction between the two (allowing "loopback switches" to
both init system and applications, to pre-empt init system functionality
which wasn't desired). It wouldn't be a permanent solution or even
workaround - just a way of hopefully demonstrating the benefits of
having systemd as optional rather than mandatory (if you want to tame or
study something, first get it into a cage). I did mention it on here a
while ago, but after the horrified responses, I didn't pursue it.
However, it was interesting to see that, according to distrowatch, MX
Linux is currently the most popular distro, and it offers systemd as an
option. Apparently they use systemd-shim to facilitate this. This is
probably (hopefully?) a bit out-of-date now, but some of the comments
are still interesting:

https://mxlinux.org/blog/so-we-could-use-a-little-help-with-systemd-shim/