:: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
Author: Stefan Krusche
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
Am Samstag, 13. November 2021 schrieb Didier Kryn:
> Le 13/11/2021 à 08:48, Didier Kryn a écrit :
> > Le 13/11/2021 à 00:26, John Morris via Dng a écrit :
> >> So yes, it is time to eliminate /bin, /sbin and /lib.
> >
> >     Seems I've got it wrong. My understanding was that /usr/bin and
> > /usr/sbin were merged into /bin and /sbin. You assume the opposite
> > and probably so does Steve.
> >
> >     Needs clarifications.
> >
> > --     Didier
>
>     I checked and I was wrong, based on the option offered years ago
> in Busybox and Buildroot (/usr/bin was a symlink to /bin and
> /usr/sbin was an symlink to /sbin). I'm amazed; I find this amazingly
> stupid. It just makes no sense because /usr is a nonsense - /usr
> means "users' directory", which is now /home) - and I was hopping to
> see it disapear. On the opposite, it becomes the actual root of the
> OS.

Hi Didier,

seems you got it (somewhat) wrong again ;-)

I've been thinking of /usr as "Unix System Resources", but then I looked
it up to be sure… See for yourself.

Kind regards, Stefan

Cite from Linux Filesystem Hierarchy¹:

1.17. /usr

/usr usually contains by far the largest share of data on a system.
Hence, this is one of the most important directories in the system as
it contains all the user binaries, their documentation, libraries,
header files, etc.... X and its supporting libraries can be found here.
User programs like telnet, ftp, etc.... are also placed here. In the
original Unix implementations, /usr was where the home directories of
the users were placed (that is to say, /usr/someone was then the
directory now known as /home/someone). In current Unices, /usr is where
user-land programs and data (as opposed to 'system land' programs and
data) are. The name hasn't changed, but it's meaning has narrowed and
lengthened from "everything user related" to "user usable programs and
data". As such, some people may now refer to this directory as
meaning 'User System Resources' and not 'user' as was originally
intended.

[1] https://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/usr.html