:: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge? initramfs
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
Le 13/11/2021 à 08:48, Didier Kryn a écrit :
> Le 13/11/2021 à 00:26, John Morris via Dng a écrit :
>> So yes, it is time to eliminate /bin, /sbin and /lib.
>     Seems I've got it wrong. My understanding was that /usr/bin and
> /usr/sbin were merged into /bin and /sbin. You assume the opposite and
> probably so does Steve.
>
>     Needs clarifications.
>
> --     Didier

    I checked and I was wrong, based on the option offered years ago in
Busybox and Buildroot (/usr/bin was a symlink to /bin and /usr/sbin was
an symlink to /sbin). I'm amazed; I find this amazingly stupid. It just
makes no sense because /usr is a nonsense - /usr means "users'
directory", which is now /home) - and I was hopping to see it disapear.
On the opposite, it becomes the actual root of the OS.

    I now understand the concern of Steve: it looks like the beginning
of an attempt to force initramfs on people, even if it is not effective yet.

    There remains the option to make /usr a symlink to /, let dpkg use
it blindly and ignore it in real life.

--     Didier

--     Didier