:: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge? in…
Author: ael
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge? initramfs
On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 09:32:38AM +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:

>     I now understand the concern of Steve: it looks like the beginning
> of an attempt to force initramfs on people, even if it is not effective yet.

I too dislike having to use initramfs rather than having the essential
modules compiled into the kernel. In passing, I can see the problem
for distributions, since what is "essential" varies with the user.
For example, I usually use f2fs on my SSDs.

However, as I understand it, it is difficult to apply firmware fixes
to CPUs other than by using initramfs. And firmware fixes are pretty
important, not least for security.

Have I got this wrong?

ael