:: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
Author: John Morris
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
On Tue, 2021-11-09 at 01:56 -0500, Steve Litt wrote:

> The logic is still the same. I need a guaranteed place on the root
> partition to find the programs necessary to mount all the other
> partitions, or else I'll need to run an initramfs.

Been following this debate. Admit that a few years ago I'd have
reflexively said keep /bin and /sbin but now? The assumptions have
changed so much it no longer makes much sense.

The size of the OS is just so small now, compared to storage media and
data files. Even a small SSD will easily hold all of /usr for all but
the most bloated installs on old obsolete storage media. So simply
including /usr in the root filesystem makes sense for almost all use
cases. On the other hand, putting everything in /usr makes some
interesting options possible, like making it a read only mount point
except during updates.

Back in olden days being able to reliably boot into a minimal
environment for rescue and recovery was important. Now a rescue
distribution on a USB stick is far more effective when things go wrong.

So yes, it is time to eliminate /bin, /sbin and /lib.

Wish I could say the same thing about the X11 vs Wayland divide. See
the cold logic and theory in the Wayland argument but keep looking at
the current reality and Wayland comes up short.