:: [DNG] Why do I need libselinux1?
Author: Alessandro Vesely
To: [DNG]
Subject: [DNG] Why do I need libselinux1?
Hi all,

when I switched to Chimaera, one of the difficulties was an /etc/selinux directory left over since several years ago. After boot with the new system, X didn't want to start. It said something about selinux, so I found the leftover and startx worked again.

Now I checked what selinux packages are installed, and find libselinux1. If i try to remove it, I get errors like:

:~# apt-get purge libselinux1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

  fontconfig : Depends: fontconfig-config but it is not going to be installed
  gnuplot : Depends: gnuplot-qt but it is not going to be installed or
                     gnuplot-x11 or
                     gnuplot-nox
  libcurl3-gnutls : Depends: libgssapi-krb5-2 (>= 1.17) but it is not going to be installed
                    Recommends: ca-certificates but it is not going to be installed
  libfontconfig1 : Depends: fontconfig-config (>= 2.13.1-4.2) but it is not going to be installed
  libglib2.0-0 : Depends: libmount1 (>= 2.35.2-7~) but it is not going to be installed
                 Depends: libselinux1 (>= 3.1~) but it is not going to be installed
                 Recommends: shared-mime-info
  libgpgmepp6 : Depends: libgpgme11 (>= 1.9.0) but it is not going to be installed
  libneon27-gnutls : Depends: libgssapi-krb5-2 (>= 1.17) but it is not going to be installed
                     Recommends: ca-certificates but it is not going to be installed
  libpaper-utils : Depends: libpaper1 but it is not going to be installed
  librdf0 : Depends: librasqal3 (>= 0.9.31) but it is not going to be installed
  libreoffice-common : Depends: ucf (>= 0.8) but it is not going to be installed
                       Recommends: fonts-liberation2 but it is not going to be installed or
                                   ttf-mscorefonts-installer but it is not going to be installed
                       Recommends: apparmor (>= 2.13.1~) but it is not going to be installed
                       Recommends: python3-uno (>= 4.4.0~beta2) but it is not going to be installed
  tar : PreDepends: libselinux1 (>= 3.1~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

Running `apt-cache rdepends libselinux1` reports lots of essential packages. Is that correct?

Perhaps all what they need is to call is_selinux_enabled() from libselinux.so.1. Does it make sense?

Did we have it on Beowulf?

Best
Ale