:: Re: [DNG] Why do I need libselinux1…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Alessandro Vesely
CC: [DNG]
Subject: Re: [DNG] Why do I need libselinux1?
Hi Alessandro,

Alessandro Vesely via Dng writes:

> Hi all,
>
> when I switched to Chimaera, one of the difficulties was an
> /etc/selinux directory left over since several years ago. After boot
> with the new system, X didn't want to start. It said something about
> selinux, so I found the leftover and startx worked again.
>
> Now I checked what selinux packages are installed, and find
> libselinux1. If i try to remove it, I get errors like:
>
> :~# apt-get purge libselinux1
> [... snip ...]
> [... snip ...]
> tar : PreDepends: libselinux1 (>= 3.1~) but it is not going to be installed
> E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
>
> Running `apt-cache rdepends libselinux1` reports lots of essential
> packages. Is that correct?

The answer is just an `apt-cache show $pkg` away for any of those
packages :-)

> Perhaps all what they need is to call is_selinux_enabled() from
> libselinux.so.1. Does it make sense?

Dunno about that but

> Did we have it on Beowulf?

Yes. I just checked on my Beowulf laptop and e.g. tar and sed both
declare a Pre-Depends: on libselinux1. Since these two are both
Essential packages, libselinux1 is required on Beowulf.

Hope this helps,