:: Re: [DNG] devuan gitea broken?
Author: tito
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Git learning -- Was: devuan gitea broken?
Subject: Re: [DNG] devuan gitea broken?
On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 08:45:50 +1000
Ralph Ronnquist via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 21:39:01 +0200
> tito <farmatito@???> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 09:57:59 +1000
> > Ralph Ronnquist via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
> >
> > > This one turned out to be that someone (aka me) had mistakenly
> > > raised a blanket traffic blockage as a misdirected response to an
> > > apparent DoS effect via gitea accesses. Things should be better
> > > now, at least until I have another go at dealing with the same
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > Ralph.
> >
> > Hi,
> > whatever you did it fixed the web interface.
> > It is speedy now, just loading files in the
> > editor is still a little slow but acceptable.
> >
> > Thanks for your time and effort.
>
> Yeah; if I don't have things to do I create some :)
>
> Btw the favoured way to work with git, both generally and also
> for Devuan's git store, is to clone the project into a workspace on your
> own machine to edit and commit locally, and then push changes back.
> Apart from being slow, editing via the repository browser is error prone
> in many ways, especially because it causes a very refined commit history
> which reduces its usefulness.
>
> In fact, if you deep dive into the ontological structure that underpins
> the notion of version control for collaborative authoring you're likely
> to arrive at and take a position to the very question whether editing
> while browsing is or is not a contrary idea. I'd say "is".
>
> Ralph.

Hi,

Yes, but I don't have the time to learn the git-fu at the moment.
I work on my local cloned tree and when I'm ready or to tired I just delete
the current git version in the editing window and copy my new version.
This way I get a diff in a simple and fast way add some commit notes,
hit commit and I'm done and can drink a beer and go to sleep.
I agree with you that this is not the most elegant way to use git
but it works for me.

Ciao and keep up the good work,

Tito