:: Re: [DNG] [OT] motherboard with "w…
Author: hal
To: dng, Haines Brown
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] motherboard with "wifi-enabled"
On September 22, 2021 6:31:43 AM CDT, Haines Brown <haines@???> wrote:

<snip>

::
:: Thanks for the help.

sure!

::
:: In the past I looked on line to see whether folks had luck with a
:: motherboard, but the Gigabyte Z-590 is too new. There are only hints
:: it might work but also a problem or two has shown up.
::
:: As the result I've not acquired any exprtise matching
:: kernels and chipsets. For example, how did you find out that the AORIS
:: wifi chiop appearss to be Intel GE? It is not specified in Gigabyte
:: specs.

I just did a search on the motherboard and then scrolled around all the fluff on the websites to look for the specs on the actual electronics. I found some on this page here (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Intel-Z590)

::
:: Then I'm unsure how to find if whether a spefic kernel has a module
:: for a specific chipset.

generally, just a quick search using Linux, and the chipset, as a search term should turn up something. here is a phoronix article (https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.11-Networking) saying intel 6E support is in the 5.11 kernel. if you're distro has the 5.11 kernel, this all suggests the wifi chip should work. now, having support is one thing. stability is another. just because the support is there doesn't mean it will work flawlessly. sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. I usually look for forum postings to see what the real world stability is like.

generally newer stuff has crappier support and stability. it's been getting much better in the past few years though it's hardware vendors have finally discovered that not everybody is running Windows.