:: Re: [DNG] [OT] motherboard with "w…
Author: Haines Brown
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] motherboard with "wifi-enabled"
On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 04:52:38PM -0500, hal wrote:

> On 9/21/21 16:34, Haines Brown wrote:
> > I'm looking at a Gigabyte Z590 AORUS Elite motherboard. One version of
> > this motherbard (designated Ax) is "wifi-enabled". It also supports
> > bluetooth I suppose this means that the NIC is on the board. I have no
> > reason to think this would be useful under Linux. Am I wrong?
>
> The Wi-Fi chip on that board appears to be an Intel 6E with
> Bluetooth 5.2 integrated on the chipset. There appears to be a wired
> LAN port as well. You might be able to use either, or both.

Thanks for the help.

In the past I looked on line to see whether folks had luck with a
motherboard, but the Gigabyte Z-590 is too new. There are only hints
it might work but also a problem or two has shown up.

As the result I've not acquired any exprtise matching
kernels and chipsets. For example, how did you find out that the AORIS
wifi chiop appearss to be Intel GE? It is not specified in Gigabyte
specs.

Then I'm unsure how to find if whether a spefic kernel has a module
for a specific chipset.

--
Haines Brown