:: Re: [DNG] [OT] motherboard with "w…
Author: hal
To: Haines Brown, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [OT] motherboard with "wifi-enabled"

On 9/21/21 16:34, Haines Brown wrote:
> I'm looking at a Gigabyte Z590 AORUS Elite motherboard. One version of
> this motherbard (designated Ax) is "wifi-enabled". It also supports
> bluetooth I suppose this means that the NIC is on the board. I have no
> reason to think this would be useful under Linux. Am I wrong?

The Wi-Fi chip on that board appears to be an Intel 6E with Bluetooth 5.2 integrated on the chipset. There appears to be a wired LAN port as well. You might be able to use either, or both.

> It also supports bluetooth, but I've no idea what is the use of a MB
> bluetooth connection with a motherboard.

As with any other chipset on that board, I would check that the Linux kernel (of your distro) includes support (kernel modules) for those electronics.

Bluetooth is handy for wireless headsets and maybe other things, but I don't tend to use it myself.