:: Re: [DNG] Information request re: w…
Author: o1bigtenor
To: al3xu5
CC: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] Information request re: wayland
On Sat, Sep 4, 2021 at 9:40 AM al3xu5 <dotcommon@???> wrote:
https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=12

> Sat, 4 Sep 2021 07:17:11 -0500 - o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???>:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 4, 2021 at 3:24 AM Steve Litt <slitt@???>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > o1bigtenor said on Fri, 3 Sep 2021 06:19:31 -0500
> > >
> > > [...]
> >
> > - I
> > had to learn how to use xrandr so that I could set up the monitors so
> > they would give my desired configuration and that needs to be entered
>>

> Enrico
>
> > EVERY time I restart the box!
> > I also like to use lots of desktops and
> > too many of the applications
> > are quite stupid so then I need to shuffle things around at EVERY
> > restart.
>
> Not sure what you are meaning here. If you run xrandr commands "manually"
> at every restart, then you shoud use a login script to do this.

Well - - - - I have at least two different configurations right now.
One with the 4k and one without.

> I have to use xrandr to adjust video output from my audio-video Linux box
> to a old LCD TV: I have a small login script to have xrandr setting up
> things at every login...

I've read about those - - - - just haven't found a good cogent guide to
creating
such. There are so many things that I'm trying to do that I worry about the
low
hanging fruit and what absolutely needs to get done. If I have an up time
of
6 months taking 3 minutes to type out 4 to 7 commands doesn't bug me. Now
when my uptime is measured in single digit hours - - - - - anything to do
with
login and setup bugs me!

Do you know of such a 'guide' (a how to on writing log in scripts. I'm
finding
that when I go looking for stuff that 90% of what the search engine drags
up
was current as of 2010 or earlier and I've been bitten enough times by
stuff
that's out dated - - - - don't need more of that joy!) ?

> Incidentally, I would like to share this two useful links:
> - modeline generator:
> http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl
> - modeline database
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Modeline_Database
>

> > I can
> > not do most of that in about 30 to 40 minutes but it still a headache
> > (every cotton
> > picking time!!!!!!!!!!!!). Yes when I plug in the 4k monitor my uptime
> > shrinks - - -
> > the bet I"ve had in quite a few tries is 28 hours - - - - sometimes as
> > low as 45
> > minutes - - - it doesn't bother me so much that I need to reboot - - -
> > its the time
> > it takes to get things back to the way I want them - - - - that's the
> > pain. My computers
> > are 'tools' for me - - - - they are not a hidden galaxy where I go to
> > hide myself from
> > the world around me. So I like to do some sorta - - - for most folks
> > anyway
> > - -
> > unusual things - - - - I think that's my issue and not really anyone
> > else's!
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > So please - - - -if anyone knows something about taming this nouveau hdmi
> > issue
> > (I think that's what it is!!!), or how to get my mobo to talk to radeon
> > gpus I really
> > want to talk. (I also am open for questions on my setup but would prefer
> > not to
> > broadcast everything on the web - - - grin!).
>
> Premise: I have never used more than 1 monitor... And excuse me if this is
> of no interest for you.
>
> But, searching in the net (for "linux 4-monitor" or "linux multi-monitor"),
> it seems X can handle up to 16 monitors since years, either Nvidia or
> AMD, either proprietary or free drivers...
>
> Just in case you miss it, here below are some interesting links:
>
> How To Use Multiple and External Displays
> https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-multiple-external-displays-linux-ubuntu/

I gave ubuntu the heave ho when they chose to force updates one their
schedule.
Am finding that they also seem to think that their solutions always work -
- - - they
sure as crap didn't when I was looking for ideas for my system setup the
last time
I was digging (some time ago but Ubuntu's arrogance as only increased so I
now
mostly avoid them except where they do something well (kernel supply is one
interesting exception!).

> Quad-Monitor AMD/NVIDIA Linux
>
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=quad_monitor_linux&num=1

Outdated instructions - - - - nvidia sure as stink no longer supports
multi-gpu systems!
They want you to buy pro gear to do that - - - - have you checked the
pricing on that stuff.

> Trying Out The Modern Linux Desktops With 4 Monitors + AMD/NVIDIA Graphics
>
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-quad-desktop&num=1

See previous.

> xorg - Using many monitors (4+) in linux
>
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/2911/using-many-monitors-4-in-linux

I originally used xorg and a pure x11 setup but that's a tough way to do
things and
today xrandr works very well and then thirdly see up two.

> Multihead - ArchWiki
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/multihead

It was actually the ArchWiki pages on multihead and multi-gpu setups that
helped
me when I was setting up. I would suggest that the instructions are at
least mostly
out of date and I would advise using the pages only for ideas and not for
actual method.

> Use multiple monitors as one big monitor
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/1192181/use-multiple-monitors-as-one-big-monitor

Simpler solution - - - use xrandr.

My first statment if I want to set up all 5 monitors is
$ xrandr --fb 7680x3000

That gives me a large screen and then I place the monitors within that
space.

> How to Set Up Multiple Monitors in Linux : 6 Steps - Instructables
> https://www.instructables.com/How-to-set-up-multiple-monitors-in-linux/

would be useful advice - - - if it were 2014 or so - - - - using Xorg is,
if not deprecated,
should be - - imo.

> Maybe you could be interested in a possible hardware solution, as pheraphs
> could be a multi-monitor appliance (which surely is not cheap)...
> Something like the Matrox QuadHead2Go Series:
>
> QuadHead2Go Q185 | Multi-Monitor Controller Appliance | Matrox Video
>
> https://www.matrox.com/en/video/products/video-walls/quadhead2go-series/q185-appliance

I shouldn't have to spend more $$$$ .

The issue is that nouveau doesn't really or hasn't finished getting hdmi
2.0 working.
There may be reasons due to nvidia - - - - I am not in the know.
Just know that as of kernel 5.10.46 things are NOT working well!

You went to a lot of work trying to find ideas - - - greatly appreciated.
There is far too much advice on linux that is quite dated and when it comes
to gpus
its a real big issue. Some places - - - no biggie - - - but for gpus - - -
- not so.

Thanks for the help and ideas.

(Hoping you'll take my comments as information as to why something that
seems like a good idea
- - - well - - - if just ain't! rather than just as criticism.)

Regards