:: Re: [DNG] License for the DNG creat…
Author: o1bigtenor
To: al3xu5
CC: o1bigtenor via Dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] License for the DNG created software guide --> Proposal: DNG Verbatim Libre License (upd)
On Sat, Sep 4, 2021 at 10:37 AM al3xu5 <dotcommon@???> wrote:

> Sat, 4 Sep 2021 09:44:21 -0500 - o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???>:
>
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Hum... Many opensource projects are managed by small organizations or
> > > individuals, and are released with licenses such as Apache, BSD, MIT,
> > > Expat and many others: the authors certainly have no finance resources
> > > to pursue violations, and I doubt that others (the "holders" of these
> > > licenses) they do it for them.
> > >
> > > In this specific case, it is simply a question of using a license that
> > > tells people: know who is the author of this documentation, and that
> > > you can use it, and that if you want to redistribute then you have to
> > > indicate the author and you don't have to change the content...

> > > So -- for my experience and knowledge -- good options could be:
> > >
> > > - GNU Verbatim Copying and Distribution
> > >
> > > which states:
> > >
> > > ~~~
> > > Copyright YEAR AUTHOR
> > >
> > > Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies
> > > of this entire document without royalty provided the
> > > copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved.
> > > ~~~
> > >
> > > - Creative commons CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International
> > > <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/>
> > >
> > > which states:
> > >
> > > ~~~
> > > You are free to:
> > >
> > >     Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

> > >     The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the
> > >     license terms.

> > > Under the following terms:
> > >
> > >     Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to
> > > the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any
> > >     reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor
> > >     endorses you or your use.

> > I would like to register my disagreement with some parts of this concept!
> >

>> Regards
>
> al3xu5
>

>> --
>
> Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and industrial design
>
> restrictions!

>> Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B
>
> > >     NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial
> > > purposes.

>> Regards
>
> al3xu5
>

>> --
>
> Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and industrial design
>
> restrictions!

>> Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B
>

> > Most everything I do here is in some shape or way related to something
> > commercial!
> > I use this or I build that or I modify this that and the next thing to
> > either make something
> > happen or build it or whatever and I do hope to make money with this
> > stuff! Its how I
> > provide for myself. Perhaps you are independently wealthy and need
> > absolutely no
> [...]

Except trying to toss out EVERYTHING will likely lose you supporters.
Now if you work on changing the balance of power - - - ie changing things
so a corporate interest can NOT hold copyright or or or - - - - now you
will
still have a huge fight on your hands but all the artists and small
companies
will also be supporting you AND you may find traction among john q public
and susie q soccermom distinctly easier to get - - - they also want to
support
their 'friends' (the little players). Getting the behemoths to play along -
- -
now that's the challenge!!!

I'd bet our actual positions are actually quite close - - - grin!

Pace