:: Re: [DNG] Information request re: w…
Author: al3xu5
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Information request re: wayland
Sat, 4 Sep 2021 07:17:11 -0500 - o1bigtenor via Dng <dng@???>:

> On Sat, Sep 4, 2021 at 3:24 AM Steve Litt <slitt@???>
> wrote:
>
> > o1bigtenor said on Fri, 3 Sep 2021 06:19:31 -0500
> >
> > [...]
>
> - I
> had to learn how to use xrandr so that I could set up the monitors so
> they would give my desired configuration and that needs to be entered
> EVERY time I restart the box!
> I also like to use lots of desktops and
> too many of the applications
> are quite stupid so then I need to shuffle things around at EVERY
> restart.

Not sure what you are meaning here. If you run xrandr commands "manually"
at every restart, then you shoud use a login script to do this.

I have to use xrandr to adjust video output from my audio-video Linux box
to a old LCD TV: I have a small login script to have xrandr setting up
things at every login...

Incidentally, I would like to share this two useful links:
- modeline generator:
http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl
- modeline database
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Modeline_Database

> I can
> not do most of that in about 30 to 40 minutes but it still a headache
> (every cotton
> picking time!!!!!!!!!!!!). Yes when I plug in the 4k monitor my uptime
> shrinks - - -
> the bet I"ve had in quite a few tries is 28 hours - - - - sometimes as
> low as 45
> minutes - - - it doesn't bother me so much that I need to reboot - - -
> its the time
> it takes to get things back to the way I want them - - - - that's the
> pain. My computers
> are 'tools' for me - - - - they are not a hidden galaxy where I go to
> hide myself from
> the world around me. So I like to do some sorta - - - for most folks
> anyway
> - -
> unusual things - - - - I think that's my issue and not really anyone
> else's!
>
> [...]
>
> So please - - - -if anyone knows something about taming this nouveau hdmi
> issue
> (I think that's what it is!!!), or how to get my mobo to talk to radeon
> gpus I really
> want to talk. (I also am open for questions on my setup but would prefer
> not to
> broadcast everything on the web - - - grin!).

Premise: I have never used more than 1 monitor... And excuse me if this is
of no interest for you.

But, searching in the net (for "linux 4-monitor" or "linux multi-monitor"),
it seems X can handle up to 16 monitors since years, either Nvidia or
AMD, either proprietary or free drivers...

Just in case you miss it, here below are some interesting links:

How To Use Multiple and External Displays
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-multiple-external-displays-linux-ubuntu/

Quad-Monitor AMD/NVIDIA Linux
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=quad_monitor_linux&num=1

Trying Out The Modern Linux Desktops With 4 Monitors + AMD/NVIDIA Graphics
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-quad-desktop&num=1

xorg - Using many monitors (4+) in linux
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/2911/using-many-monitors-4-in-linux

Multihead - ArchWiki
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/multihead

Use multiple monitors as one big monitor
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1192181/use-multiple-monitors-as-one-big-monitor

How to Set Up Multiple Monitors in Linux : 6 Steps - Instructables
https://www.instructables.com/How-to-set-up-multiple-monitors-in-linux/

Maybe you could be interested in a possible hardware solution, as pheraphs
could be a multi-monitor appliance (which surely is not cheap)...
Something like the Matrox QuadHead2Go Series:

QuadHead2Go Q185 | Multi-Monitor Controller Appliance | Matrox Video
https://www.matrox.com/en/video/products/video-walls/quadhead2go-series/q185-appliance

Regards
al3xu5

--
Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and industrial design
restrictions!

Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B