:: Re: [DNG] /run/user/<id>#
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Luciano Mannucci
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /run/user/<id>#
Hi Luciano,

Luciano Mannucci writes:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 11:41:31 +0000
> g4sra via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
>> Not necessarily anything wrong, other than the two machines are not identical.
> Well, the hardware is not the same.
> The software too, might not be at the same update level, so I just
> issued an apt-get update followed by an apt-get dist-upgrade.
> I cannot test the results because I cannot reboot the machines now.
>
>> /run/user/xxx is used by session management (and in some corner cases its absence can break dpkg scripts).
>>
>> You could list all the processes on both machines and then diff them.
>> Quick and dirty (and untested :)
>>
>> local_host# ps -e | awk '{print $4}' | sort | uniq >/tmp/catch0
>> local_host# ssh remote_machine 'ps -e' | awk '{print $4}' | sort | uniq >/tmp/catch1
>> local_host# diff /tmp/catch0 /tmp/catch1
> Well, it gives me a lot of differences in kworker/something, and
> some difference in samba suite. And a big difference: one is
> running Xorg. I think I'll disable it and see if it makes a
> difference after next reboot...

As g4sra said, /run/user/xxx is used by session management and as you
say you have Xorg running on one of the machines, I guess someone is
logged in and running an X session. That would normally trigger
creation of /run/user/xxx.

BTW, /run/user/xxx is a tmpfs filesystem, i.e. it only exists in
memory. On my machine, I see

olaf@quark:~$ mount | grep /run/user/
none on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=700,uid=1000)
olaf@quark:~$ find /run/user/
/run/user/
/run/user/1000
/run/user/1000/gnupg
/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent.ssh
/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent.browser
/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent.extra
/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent

which makes sense because `gpg-agent` is started as part of my Xfce4
session.

Hope this helps,