:: Re: [DNG] random sudden stops
Author: Mason Loring Bliss
To: DNG
Subject: Re: [DNG] random sudden stops
On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 08:10:55PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> For the past few months my home server (running an ascii installation
> physically moved from another computer) has been suddenly stopping all
> processing about once a month.

Quite seriously, check it for excessive dust. Heat can do that. You can
also keep a baseline of that... Here's what I use:

    $ cat bin/heat
    #!/bin/sh
    watch -n 5 "sensors ; top -b | head -20"

I also recently learned about cpulimit(1), which is really useful for, as
an example, transcoding.

Could easily be something else, but checking for dust isn't a bad idea.

--
Mason Loring Bliss (( If I have not seen as far as others, it is because
mason@??? )) giants were standing on my shoulders. - Hal Abelson